Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality.
Prompt Response:
If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize me, here is the way I think they'd describe me. For speech, someone could guess that I was born in the South due to my accent. They could also probably guess that I spend a lot of time online because of my slang or humor. For thoughts, someone might say that I'm more sensitive than one can see. On the outside, I don't seem sensitive, but in my thoughts, you can see that I overthink and feel a lot of emotion. For effects on others, someone might say that I'm helpful or even annoying. I'm always ready to help others, but sometimes I might bother someone too much because I'm excited about talking to them. For actions, someone could say I'm creative and reserved. I participate in many hobbies and I don't really do anything that could bring attention to myself. Lastly, for looks, one could say I'm modest or quiet because I like a simple put-together look.
Summary: Today in class, we worked on a short group assignment and then started a second independent assignment.
Reflection: I really enjoyed the second assignment because it allowed a lot of room for creativity.
Comments
Post a Comment