Prompt: Emily struggles with letting go of people throughout her life, and the ending reveals the extreme length she went to in order to keep Homer with her. Why do you think some people have such a difficult time accepting loss or change? Connect Emily’s actions to your own observations or experiences with people struggling to let go.
Prompt Response:
I think some people have a difficult time accepting loss or change because they want to control or shield themselves from the unpredictable future. Emily tries her best to hold onto the past in the changing present. For example, when her dad dies she acts as if nothing happened and he's still alive. I believe she did this because she doesn't want to allow herself to be hurt my the changing present. Her actions seem crazy in hindsight but I can't help but feel sympathy. I understand how it feels to want to hold on to things that have to change. In a way, I feel that she was trying to protect herself since nobody else can.
Summary: I was absent from class because I was on a field trip.
Reflection: The comprehension questions I answered at home allowed me to understand the story better.
Comments
Post a Comment