In "The Rockpile", John and Roy do not always receive the same treatment from the adults in their family. Have you ever felt that you or someone else in your family was treated differently from everyone else? What caused the difference, and do you think it was fair? Explain.
Prompt Response:
Sometimes, when I'm in public, I don't believe I get the same treatment as the rest of my family. In my family, my stepdad and brother are Latino. Although my mom is black, she has a lighter complexion, which makes people assume that she is also of Latin descent. I don't feel this way at home, but when I'm in public people often assume I'm apart from some other group of people. For example, if I'm at the airport, and we're all going through security, I would get asked, "Are you with them?" Or, if I'm at a Mexican restaurant, everyone will get spoken to in Spanish, while I get asked in English. I don't believe this difference is fair, because even though I look different, it doesn't mean I'm not apart of them. At home, I don't feel this difference, so it's weird when other people act as if it's so strange. But, ultimately this difference doesn't bother me because it's not something I deal with every day, unlike John in "The Rockpile".
Summary: Today in class, we finished answering our comprehension questions from the day before.
Reflection: I liked class today because it was relatively easy and we got to discuss the questions as a class.
Comments
Post a Comment