In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?

 Prompt Response:

    I'm not the type of person to just break rules. If I do ever break a rule, it's usually for a good reason or something I cannot avoid. One rule I do break is probably the cell phone policy. In class, I'm usually caught up with my work, so I have a lot of free time. In this free time I'm extremely bored and most, if not everything, is blocked on our Chromebooks. So, I would usually get on my phone instead. Nothing happens most of the time because the teachers see me as a trustworthy person. They know if I'm on my phone, it is because I'm done with my work. Sometimes I feel a bit anxious that I'll get in trouble and my conscience makes me put my phone away.

Summary: Today in class, we read "The Rockpile" by James Baldwin and answered comprehension questions.

Reflection: This story was pretty good in my opinion, because I could make some connections. Both of my grandmothers are extremely religious, but do many things that wouldn't be seen as "Christian".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. What is it, what does it mean, and why has it become part of your everyday vocabulary? Explain when you typically use it and what your choice of this word or phrase might reveal about you.

Prompt: In “Because I could not stop for Death,” Emily Dickinson presents life as a journey that eventually comes to an end. What experiences in your life have reminded you that time moves quickly? How have those experiences affected the way you value your time?

With 4.5-week grades posting on September 2, reflect on your experience in American Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?