Write about a time you felt connected to nature, like the kinship in Native American myths.

 Prompt Response: 

     In elementary school I didn't have many friends. At recess everyone would go and play with their friends, but sometimes I didn't want to play any active games, and wanted to sit around and talk. Since everyone was playing games there wasn't anyone left to talk to. However, there was a tree at the edge of the playground where no one was around. I thought that'd be a good place to talk about my day so I went up to the tree and started talking to it as a person. From that day on, I visited the tree every school day even if I had friends to play with after. I rememeber the tree's leaves would seem to perk up or it would be extra windy for some reason. The movement of the tree could've been just my imagination but I truly believe that tree was my friend.

Summary:   Today in class, we talked and took notes on the historical background and culture of Native American literature. 

Reflection:  I enjoyed today's lesson because I find it interesting to learn about different cultures. I learned that elements, the natural world, and heavenly bodies, are all seen as alive and aware in Indigenous culture. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. What is it, what does it mean, and why has it become part of your everyday vocabulary? Explain when you typically use it and what your choice of this word or phrase might reveal about you.

Prompt: In “Because I could not stop for Death,” Emily Dickinson presents life as a journey that eventually comes to an end. What experiences in your life have reminded you that time moves quickly? How have those experiences affected the way you value your time?

With 4.5-week grades posting on September 2, reflect on your experience in American Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?