Prompt: In Emily Dickinson’s “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” the speaker experiences a mind that seems to work against her. Sometimes our own thoughts can make a situation feel worse than it actually is. Describe a time when overthinking, worrying, or doubting yourself affected the way you handled a situation. What did you learn from the experience?

 Prompt Response:

   I'm a huge over thinker so I often feel this way. A time that I can remember that felt like my mind was working against me, was when I had to catch up on work I missed from being absent. During this time, I had been absent for an entire week. There was so many assignments to be made up, so I felt extremely overwhelmed. I don't like to turn in work late or to be behind, so it felt like I had mountains of work to do, when in reality it wasn't that much. This feeling of being overwhelmed pushed me do all-nighters to complete my assignments, which led to me going to school without getting any sleep. I constantly felt like I was going to lose my mind due to the stress. From this experience, I learned that I have to realize that none of this is permanent. These feelings I have when I'm stressed or overwhelmed are temporary.    

Summary: Today in class, we read "I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain" by Emily Dickinson and answered comprehension questions after.

Reflection: I really enjoyed analyzing this poem. It made me realize that we have the power to control how we think and manage thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think about the word or phrase you find yourself using the most right now. What is it, what does it mean, and why has it become part of your everyday vocabulary? Explain when you typically use it and what your choice of this word or phrase might reveal about you.

Prompt: In “Because I could not stop for Death,” Emily Dickinson presents life as a journey that eventually comes to an end. What experiences in your life have reminded you that time moves quickly? How have those experiences affected the way you value your time?

With 4.5-week grades posting on September 2, reflect on your experience in American Literature so far. What has been going well for you, what has been challenging, and what is one thing you need to improve moving forward?